National LGBTQ Health Awareness Week 2020
National LGBTQ Health Awareness Week, created by the National Coalition for LGBTQ Health, was held March 23-27. The theme for the week was “Turn OUT for LGBT Health”, this encouraged the community to advocate for LGBTQ+ policy and mobilize voter turnout in support of LGBTQ+ health equity. The coalition wants to thank all those who participated in Awareness Week and helped promote LGBTQ+ health.
“Impact of COVID-19 on the LGBTQ+ Community”
On March 26, 2020, the National Coalition for LGBTQ Health held a webinar on “The Impact of COVID-19 on the LGBTQ+ Community” as part of National LGBTQ Health Awareness Week. The webinar grabbed the attention of more than 1700 viewers.
COVID-19 and its unprecedented public health response has certainly impacted our lives in ways we would not have imagined just a few weeks ago. This timely webinar highlights the response of LGBTQ+ community groups and health centers as they support LGBTQ+ communities during this crisis. Speakers explored unique issues for the community, innovative practices in responding to needs, how traditional programming has been modified to meet community needs, and other challenges impacting LGBTQ+ health.
- Anthony Fortenberry, CNO, Callen-Lorde Community Health Clinic
- Kimberleigh Smith – Senior Director of Community Health and Family Planning, Callen-Lorde Community Health Clinic
- Debbie Ojeda-Leithner, Policy Advocate, National Center for Transgender Equality
- Quentin Bell, Executive Director, The Nights & Orchids Society
- Tyler TerMeer, CEO, Cascade AIDS Project
- Dylan Waguespack, Public Policy and External Affairs Director, True Colors Fund
- Aaron Tax, Director of Advocacy, SAGE
- Elizabeth Weglein, CEO, Elizabeth Cooney Care Network
- Julie Kruse, Director of Federal Policy, Family Equality Council
- Michael Shankle, Senior Director of Capacity Building, National Coalition for LGBTQ Health
- Elaina Perry, Project Associate, National Coalition for LGBTQ Health
- Neal Mody-Bailey, LGBT Intern, National Coalition for LGBTQ Health